Kristiansund has 4 churches with four different styles. The four churches represent the very modern archaeological art of medieval architecture with stave churches. They are all worth a visit and are situated within a short driving distance. Grip Stave Church is available for visits only during the summer season and boat is needed as it is on an island in the Atlantic ocean, outside of Kristiansund town.
Grip Stavkirke is located on the island Grip, 12 km northeast of Kristiansund. The church was built in 1470 and is now integrated into the small village of Grip, which is a former fishing village.
The church is single-sided, covered with saddle roof that carries rooftops over the western part. The church is the northernmost and westernest of the stave churches and is one of Norway's simplest and smallest preserved
The church has medieval core, but many buildings have been renewed. Original parts are Sviller, cornerstones, spellbeds, wallboards, and parts of the ceiling are original.
In 1621 the walls of the choir were changed, and these were painted inside with pictures and ranked choir.
In the church room there are painted wall decals from the 17th century, including the good and the bad virgins at the top of the north wall. The pulpit and the baptismal font are from around 1870, and the church benches were made when the church was restored in 1930-32, under the direction of architect John Tverrdahl. On the altar there is a sanctuary with figurines in circular niches of Holy Olav, Virgin Mary with the Child and Sankta Margareta. The ceremony is probably made in the Netherlands around 1500. On the footsteps there are two verses of John's revelation of the Lamb's wedding and the coming of Jesus on earth.
Nordlandet Church is beautifully situated on the Nordland island and is well visible from the harbor in Kristiansund. The church is built in a wall and was completed in 1914. It was designed by architect Hagvart Schytte-Berg.
Frei church Frei Kirke is situtded 20 km from the center in idyllic and rural surroundings on the island of Frei i Kristiansund. It was built in 1897 in three and is a longcrike which was the most common way to make church at that time. The architect here is Karl Norum.
In 1940, the Second World War broke out, and church in the Churchland became the roots of the flames. The church of Nordlandet therefore stood alone and became Kristiansund's main church for many years.
Kirkelandet Church is considered the first real modern church building in Norway, and was built in 1964 by architect Odd Østby. Then the main island in Kristiansund, Kirkelandet, had been without a church for 24 years. The previous one, a large wooden church that stood on "Kirktomta" became the bombing of the flames after the terror bombings in April 1940. The church is an important attraction in Kristiansund and represents the last building in the reconstruction architecture of the city. The new church was widely discussed because of its form as a two-fold broke with traditional church architecture. The architectural idea behind Kirkelandet Church is "Mountain Crystalline in Roses", ie the church should shine like a luminous crystal among the roses in the western slope. Kirklandet Church is on the National Heritage Site's list of nationa