If you are driving between Kristiansund and Ålesund you have the opportunity to drive on two National Tourist Routes.
The Atlantic Road meanders between the islands outer edge, while Trollstigen/Geiranger offers dramatic western landscape with high mountains, deep fjords and lush valleys. Wild, beautiful and diverse.
On the way you will also take in the three cities Kristiansund, Molde and Ålesund. Kristiansund, the harbor town situated in the middle of the ocean, Molde surrounding with its stunning panorama of mountains and the art nouveau town of Ålesund.
In these 390 km you get the essence of what Fjord Norway offers with mountains, fjords and the sea!
Map of the recommended route.
360 degree image of the area.
Suggested program, 2 day trip:
- Fly to Kristiansund and rent a car or drive your own car to Kristiansund.
- Start the day with breakfast in the restaurant Sans, named the county's best hotel breakfast. Before departure, explore the harbour of Kristiansund by boat!
- Drive the first stage to Geitøya at the Atlantic Road (35 min) and take the viking ship out to the old fishing village of Håholmen. And maybe you want to stop for a cup of coffee at Bjartmars Favorittkro before you head out on the Atlantic Road?
- Continue the drive from Geitøya to Farstad (15 min), follow the sign to the right down to Farstadsanden and walk the coastal trail out to Nordneset. Remember to take a photo stop on the road!
- From Farstad continue on the Atlantic Road to the fishing village of Bud (23 min). Have lunch at the restaurant Bryggjen in Bud.
- From Bud continue to Molde (1 h 10 min). Take the detour on fv 215 and Aureosen when you get to Malmefjorden.
- When you get to Molde, drive (or walk) to Varden to enjoy the Molde panorama and its 222 summits.
- From Molde, drive today's penultimate stage to Åndalsnes (1 hr 30 min + ferry Sølsnes-Åfarnes) and have your dinner at the Grand Hotel Bellevue.
- Tonight's final stage (15 min) goes to Trollveggen (the Troll Wall) in Rauma. Visit Trollveggen Visitors center and stay in one of the cabins at Trollveggen Camping.
- Enjoy breakfast at Trollveggen Visitor Center overlooking the majestic Trollveggen before heading on to Trollstigen (20 min). Remember to stop at the top!
- From the top of Trollstigen the tour continues on the National Tourist road to Geiranger (1 h 30 min). Stop at one of the many scenic spots on the way down from the mountain. Once in Geiranger have lunch with breathtaking views at Restaurant Julie.
- Go on board the car ferry that takes you out incredible Geiranger Fjord to Hellesylt (1 h 30 min).
- From Hellesylt drive the last leg of the trip to Ålesund (2 h). Use the evening to stroll around in Ålesund or join the Ålesund Town Train on a sightseeing.
Eat fresh seafood at Maki in Brosundet and sleep well on the new Quality Hotel Waterfront.
Fly from Ålesund or continue your journey in Fjord Norway.